Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2018 (UK Release Dates)

Honorable Mentions: 

Deadpool 2
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Gridlewald
Darkest Hour
Aquaman

_________________________________________________

10: You Were Never Really Here


Lynne Ramsay is one of those directors who is truly unique, her films usually focus on poetic imagery and themes of anxiety and grief. It has been 7 years since her last film 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', a film which is one of my all time favorites. Working with Joaquin Phoenix and telling a story which is very different from her other works, I am fascinated to see how Ramsay will handle this one and what the end result will be.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMqsd7Umxy8









9: The Post

Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep and John Williams. I could just leave it there. "The Post" continues Spielberg's one-two punch cycle of a blockbuster film and then a drama film, both in the same year, certifying his place as still one of the world's most influential directors. For me I now almost always prefer his drama's because their is more of Spielberg's craft on show, not to mention the brilliant performances he gets out of his cast. It's easy to be cynical about this film being "oscar-bait", but if it turns out to be a great film, then it's a great film regardless.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whFAsePy-w8





8: Phantom Thread

Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favorite directors, while I don't love every film he has done, there is always something worth studying in his films. Working with Daniel Day Lewis again, Phantom Thread has massive potential to be something that is timeless. The only reason the film isn't higher on my list is because the trailer didn't have me hyped or as interested as I thought I would be, then again neither did his film "The Master" and that's a brilliant film.

Whatever it is, I am sure it will be interesting.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXGDFw8qDQ



7: Incredibles 2

The Incredibles is my favorite Pixar film. If counted as a superhero film it is still one of the best. Like many people of my generation I have had a long, long wait for a sequel, with the same team, including the director Brad Bird it has a good chance of pleasing fans of the first film and a new generation of film goers.

Although I do think it would be more interesting if the characters aged with us.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDMWVZta3M





6: Red Sparrow

The trailer alone is the reason why Red Sparrow is on this list. The film's story seems fascinating and compelling as well as suspenseful. The film looks beautifully stylised and it boots a great cast including, Jennifer Lawrance, Joel Edgerton and Jeremy Irons.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_sAY0gNyH8









5: God Particle 

God Particle is a new chapter in the loosely tied Cloverfield franchise. Like it's predecessor '10 Cloverfield Lane' this film is shrouded in secrecy. It's January and there is no trailer, no posters (the one pictured is fan-made) and has very little details surrounding the plot. This franchise is one of the boldest and most interesting Hollywood has to offer, each film is truly different from each other, while still keeping in touch with it's roots. 10 Cloverfield Lane was one of my favorite films of 2016, so if this film can match it, then Cloverfield will be (in my eyes) one of the best sci-fi film trilogy's there is.






4: Isle of Dogs

It's been almost 4 years since Wes Anderson's celebrated 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' was released and since then I have been missing his quirky flair that he brings to the screen. Like his other films, his latest outing features a great line up of actors including frequent calibrators Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum and Tilda Swinton as well as Bryan Cranston, Frances McDormand and Harvey Keitel.

Wes Anderson's films are so unique that his vision is often imitated, but only he can proved the same charm and lasting impact.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU



3: Avengers: Infinity War

While I have never been a massive fan of the MCU, their recent films have been consistent in above average quality with even the occasional great films such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange providing the canon with characters and a story that we know and care about. Now all the fan-boys and girls are sweating in excitement as Marvel is finally releasing Infinity War. The film every Marvel comic book fan has been waiting for.

What I cannot believe is that I am actually excited for an MCU film. Someone who didn't even like Marvel to begin with. This film looks like it will have something for everyone, if they pull this off, then it could well be one of the best superhero films there is.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8



2: The New Mutants 

Fox are continuing there U.S.P by making superhero films that subvert the genre. Deadpool - a dark meta comedy, Logan - A violent western and now 'The New Mutants' a psychological horror film.

I love a good horror film and I am surprised that Fox went for such a strange concept for a superhero film. What I like the most is that the trailer sells it as a straight horror film, it doesn't feel inclusive, it's not pandering to people's expectations. I don't know the line between the horror and the superhero elements and that's what I loved about the trailer and that's why I am hyped for this film because a lot is still unknown, but yet I am very intrigued.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT879-4Wjs


1: Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

Martin McDonagh is one of the most talented writing-directors there is working today. His films are blackly comic, but also have genuine emotion and heart to them. This film is one of the most talked about films of this awards season and with witnessing McDonagh's talents in 'In Bruges' and 'Seven Psychopaths' I don't doubt that this film deserves to nominated. This film has a great cast including Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell and looks cinematic in every sense. In layman's terms, it just looks like my kind of film.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up61Tf6KnNw






One thing to take note is that many lesser known and independent films don't get the same amount as publicity and marketing as Hollywood films. There is always at least about 5 films a year that I don't see coming, but become one of my favorites of the year, so don't be surprised if this list doesn't match my end of the year one. 

Comments