The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Review)


'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' is a art-house horror drama which stars Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman. This film is directed by Yorgos Lanthimos.

Yorgos Lanthimos' follow up to his critically acalimed 'The Lobster' follows the same abusdise and nightmare driven pitch black comedy which makes his work stand out. In laymen's terms Lanthimos films are weird, The take turns you wouldn't expect, they are uncompromising, and times you are thrilled and in awe with what you see on screen, other times you feel personally sickened and provoked. This director certainly hasn't sold out on his creativity because I felt all of these emotions watching this.

Each moment of this film changed my perspective on it, there was a scene I loved followed by a scene that repelled me. It felt earnest and utterly pretentious at the same time.

The cast deliver great performances with thematically and tonally challenging material and the film benefits from it's haunting slow pace.

'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' can be a hard film to get your head around, some of it was engaging and effective, other parts felt boring and self satisfied, but overall I give credit to a film to make me feel something and to provoke and manipulate multiple emotions from me.

Rating: 7/10

Comments