Venom (Review)


'Venom' is a superhero action film which stars Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams. This film is directed by Ruben Fleischer.

While still holding onto part of the rights to the Spiderman franchise Sony has found a way to capitalise on whatever the MCU hasn't done. Sony have been pushing this film as being more edgy and darker than Marvel's counterparts.

My expectations were low for this film, the trailers looked like this film should of come out 10 years ago, for a film which would still of been bad 10 years ago. I did cast these thoughts aside however, it's only fair that I give this film a fair chance.

I am just going to cut right into it and say, this film is exactly what I thought it would be. It's not awful, there is nothing that stands out to me as it being partially 'bad', there are some amusing moments between Eddie Brock and Venom as they begin to interact with each other.

For the most part though this film is dull. Like I imagined it's a film that does feel very dated, everything that happens in this film, you've seen it before and done better somewhere else.  Tom Hardy gives an unsurprisingly good performance,  but it's good to see that he is still trying his best with the bland material he has to work with. Michelle Williams did a fine job, but I wish she got more screen time or had something more interesting for her character to do. Riz Ahmed gives a decent performances as well, but watching him, you feel like he is disappointed with the limitations of his character.

Overall, Venom is not a complete train wreck, but it's still on the wrong side of quality. For the things that worked I say say it's worth watching when it comes out on rental services, but it's not worth going out of your way to see.


Rating: 4/10

Comments