Avengers: Infinity War (Review)


'Avengers: Infinity War' is a superhero film which stars an ensable cast including Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson. This film is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo.

To say this film is long awaited is an understatement, to say this film is the most anticipated film of the year is also an understatement. This film is the core reason why the 10 year running 'MCU' exists. So is it any good?

First things first, my views of 'MCU' films have been mixed from the start. I have been somewhat of a contrarian when it comes to my views on films such as "The Avengers" which many people love, however I have also enjoyed Marvel films such as Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which a majority of people have been critical of. My views on the 'MCU' left me with an average expectation for what was to come in this film, but my expectations were far exceeded.

This film for me fixes the continuing issue I have with Marvel's films and that is that the stakes are not grounded, sure Iron Man may get punched to a pulp, but we all know in 5 minutes he will be recovered again, this is not the case in this installment. The humour is apparent, sometimes for better or worse, but the positive effect of it's inclusion is that you end up feeling more peril for the characters when the situation becomes more dangerous.

For me the most commendable aspect of 'Infinity War' is it's ability to tackle so many different themes and continued plots from previous MCU movies and make them all have the same emotional weight throughout the story. This is the first Marvel film where I actually felt something for all of the main characters. Despite the spectacle and the massive amount of characters on-screen, the writers find a way to include enough development for you to be emotionally invested into the story.

What surprised me the most was how much screen time the characters had to build relationships, to the point were the action feels secondary, some may be disappointed by this, but I felt it only made the film stronger. All in all this film is successful in creating it's core theme, which beautifully represents what the Avengers is all about. Being a hero is about taking sacrifice.

Rating: 9/10


















Comments