Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge (Review)

'Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge' is the fifth installment into the adventure film franchise 'Pirates of the Caribbean.

For the generation of children who grew up with the originals pirates of the Caribbean film back in 2003 can agree that after 14 years the franchise is starting to sink people's interest. Since the rise of other blockbuster franchises such as the MCU and the new star wars films, the likes of Johnny Depp's stumbling antics no longer seem the hype and excitement of which they did during the 2000's, however with the suggestion rumoring that this is the last film the series has hope to bring back the fans of the franchise for the finally of this long running film series.

To be frank, I did not like this film at all, it was just plain bad. Before I slate the film I want to say that I enjoyed the first three films of the series. The first film, I thought was fun and quite original for the time it was released, the second two are guilty pleasures of mine, I know they are flawed, but I enjoyed the double downed set pieces and the thrilling visual flair, the fourth was a pretty dull affair, but it had some redeeming quality, but this one, well I don't have many positives to say about it. One mildly impressive aspect of the film was the production design, which is easy to take advantage of when watching these types of films, however even the production design is not great, because I have seen it done better in the previous pirate films. I also thought that Geoffrey Rush did a good performance and put his effort into it despite the poor material he was given. Everything else has horrible, the performances were bland and half-arsed, the story didn't make sense, even for a pirates film. The music just felt like it was being dubbed over by the cringe worthy dialog. The GCI looks like it has not been rendered and the film might as well be fully animated with how much it is used and how glaringly noticeable it is. The direction is just plain bad and does nothing to help the poorly conceited action set pieces. The cinematography looks cheap and unoriginal, almost as it were from a TV film from the early 2000s.  I did get some enjoyment out of the film, but not for the right reasons. I summarize the films quality with this; not even Stephen Graham can save it.

Rating: 3/10

Comments